Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Part 2- The Delivery

 Oct. 12th, my due date, came and went. Fortunately my sisters had prepared me that I would most likely be overdue. I think that saved me from disappointment. About 5 days after my due date we were having dinner at my in-laws. I decided that I would go and lightly bounce on the trampoline. I was hoping it would get things rolling. That night I went into bed at 11:45pm. About 15 mins. later at midnight things started rolling. I started to have contractions. It felt so different than I expected. I would describe it as a tightening. Around 3am I decided to wake up Jared and tell him the news. He was sleeping in the living room because I had been snoring so badly the past few months. Poor thing! I thought that they felt very strong. We timed them together, breathed together and I took a bath. They jumped from 5 mins to 15 mins. It was very inconsistent. The only thing that helped me to feel better was to walk around. I was up all night and happened to have a doctors appointment at noon. Dr. Froerer told me that I was only dilated to a 2 and would probably have the baby in the next 24 to 48 hours. That felt like eternity. We went home and between contractions we cleaned the house. By midnight that night the contractions got stronger, but were still very inconsistent. Around 2am, Jared made the decision that we were going to the hospital. I didn't argue. We checked in and got a room and a gown. My nurse checked me out and I was dilated to a 4. She told me that I would probably be able to stay. What??? I wasn't leaving. I had just been walking around with no sleep having contractions for over 24 hours. I was exhausted. I lasted until 5am and broke down and got the epidural. Relief!!! I could finally sleep and regain some energy for a few hours. My Uncle Kimball came in and checked on me around 7am. He is such a sweetie. Dr. Froerer then came in a broke my water. That sped up my labor. Katie showed up around 8:30am. Jared and I invited her to be in the delivery and to record it. She was an awesome support. Right at noon I felt like the baby was coming out. We contacted the nurse and she told me that we would start pushing. Jared and Katie held my legs and I started pushing. Dr. Froerer came in about 12:30 and took over for nurse Jill. Katie pulled out the camera and Jared coached me. He was awesome!!! North arrived at 12:57pm. Holy "ring of fire". I guess the epidural wore off. They placed him right on my stomach and started to clean him off. It was a surreal experience. Jared cut the cord and we just cried. It was the most amazing moment of our lives. North and I had skin to skin time and tried nursing. The next 24 hours were a blur. Kimberly and Mindi showed up to meet North. We also had the nurse pack up the placenta. We want to plant it with a tree for North this spring.




















4 comments:

Michelle said...

He is such a beautiful boy.. and you are such a beautiful mama! Good work guys!! xooxox

fisherfam said...

So cute! I love your birth story. You are amazing!

julie said...

You are so strong. What a great story!

Deb said...

I love your story! And the photos of those first moments are priceless. He's adorable! What a miracle, huh? It's amazing what our bodies can do (with a little help :))